destination india

Thursday, June 23, 2005

notable quotable quotes

The results of the American Film Institute, that identified the most notable quotable quotes from the cinemas, make good reading. Some selected examples will suffice to prove the point that a few words spoken with that long meaningful pause or the extra emphasis with just a tiny nod of the head or a blank, stony stare is enough to remain etched forever in the minds of the viewers.

The No. 1 position went to Rhett Butler (Clark Gable) in Gone with the wind (1939) – ‘frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn.’
No. 2 position bagged by Marlon Brando, Godfather (1972) – ‘I am going to make him an offer he can’t refuse.’
No. 3 also by Marlon Brando in the Waterfront (1954) – ‘You don’t understand! I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I could’ve been somebody instead of a bum, which is what I am.’
No. 4 Judy Garland as Dorothy telling her dog in Wizard of Oz (1939) – ‘Toto, I’ve got a feeling we’re not in Kansas any more.’
No 5 was Humphrey Bogart as nightclub owner in Casablanca (1942) – ‘Here’s looking at you, kid.’
No 6 was Clint Eastwood playing cop Dirty Harry Callahan in Sudden Impact (1983) - ‘go ahead, make my day.’
No. 22 was James Bond (Sean Connery) in Dr. No (1962) – ‘Bond, James Bond.’

If we had a similar competition for Indian quotable quotes from the world of Indian cinema, I feel the fight for the top five slots would be between the following –

Sarah duniya mujhe Lion key naam se jaantey hai – Kalicharan, Ajeet
Mere paas maa hai – Deewar, Shashi Kapoor
Gandi naali key keedey – Hum, Amitabh Bachhan
Aaj bhi phekey huey paise uthatey nehi – Deewar, Amitabh Bachhan
Yeh haath mujhe de dey thakur – Sholay, Amjad Khan

Fellow bloggers may add to the list.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home